Sunday, November 2, 2008

ARRIVAL!

There is no point for that being in caps. Unless you are really excited, in which case you can read it exactly how it is written.

I arrived in Dhaka the capital city of Bangladesh at 2am local time here and we made it through immigration fairly readily. The guy at immigration had no clue what Mennonite Central Committee was and I wasn't about to try and fill him in. We grabbed our bags and headed out an exit. It happened to be the wrong one. They were waiting for us at another exit. While we were both figuring this out we were also noticing the heat and humidity. It was probably like 75 and really humid at 3am. We eventually asked a local security guy which entrance was the main one and got ourselves redirected to the other one. They were really excited to see us. Apparently for a split second one of them had thought they saw us earlier but it turned out to be a young Bengali couple with an 8 year old kid. We all got a good laugh at that one. We packed our stuff into a small SUV like vehicle (think Rav4 sized) and headed "home" for the rest of the night. I will withold any comments about observations of the city until I see it during the day, but from what I can see, I'll have some interesting ones to talk about.

On a side note, I must admit that my parents were right. They predicted and tried to stop me from forgetting to write Alma Miller a thank you note for the suit case she provided for me. I remembered that I needed to do it but it was too late by the time I remembered. So I guess what I'm trying to say is, will everyone from Howard-Miami who reads this please tell her thank you for me when they see her next? I figure if I get enough of you to do that, she will get the point of how grateful I am despite my inability to get her a card. Also, thank you everyone else who offered suitcases.

God Bless,
Phil

2 comments:

Unknown said...

God Bless you Phil. I look forward to hearing about your exploits!

-tk

Shelley said...

What happened to your sweet and salty nut bars!!! They are oh so tasty!!! Glad you're feeling better.