Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Life in the United States...

It isn't much like here. Today it was like 85+ degrees. There are always interesting noises. Those range from the sound of whistles all night long to things like the local mosque's call to prayer at 5 am. The local caller for our area is not one of the best. He always starts of real low and gets higher pitched going into his chant. We like to joke that it is like the moderately well known, "Leeeeeeeeeeeeeets get ready to rumble!" chant back in the states. During the day you always here car horns honking. Traffic is always interesting here. Cars honk to signal they are turning or that they are coming near you and they suspect you should know it. It isn't considered a rude thing to do here at all. Just a common courtesy. That said, many cars here have extra bumpers and many more have smashed in bumpers. You might think that sounds unsafe but in reality I haven't heard of anyone being hit by a car while walking and I suspect I won't any time soon.

I got a haircut today. It wasn't nearly as dramatic as my brother's experience. We went into the shop. He used only scissors and a comb. He worked fast and did every bit as good of a job as someone with clippers. He then pulled out a new razor blade and shaved my neck. He asked if I wanted my mustache trimmed and I said "no". He did it anyway. After trimming my mustache he immediately grabbed my nose and trimmed the hairs in it too. I just relaxed and went with it.

I went to a market by myself this afternoon. I bought a pair of sandals. They wanted a little over $10 for the ones I wanted. So I bought some cheap $3 ones instead. I went to a shop with set prices. I figure I'll save bartering for when I have some language study in. I meet my language instructor tomorrow.

On my way back from the sandal place a cloth dealer waved me over. He asked where I was from. I said, "America." He said, "Obama!" The election is something they pay attention to here. The people in the office are setting up a video screen that will post live election information tomorrow. It is kind of nice being 11 hours ahead of others at times.

I have a blister on my pinky toe from my previous sandals. I guess I should have broken them in first huh?

That's all the random thoughts I have for tonight.

Love,
Phil

2 comments:

Shelley said...

Can you please post a picture of your inner nostril?

Kaihaku said...

I always like it when they shave the fluff off your ear at the very end.