Wednesday, November 12, 2008

By popular demand...or not so popular, it depends on your opinion of Shelley


Cricket players across the road.















There is a Taco Belle here! Yeah you can see the extra "e" if you really look hard.













I'm sitting in the right brown chair right now.













A nice nostril shot just for Shelley.



Tonight I took an adventure. I took a CNG (little green motorcycle motor run buggy) down to New Market by myself. I was looking for a book. New Market is huge. You can find almost anything there. Imagine a Wal-mart sized area filled with clothes crammed booths. Now take that and make it a multiple story building. Then spill it into the streets for blocks on end. I found a book dealer. I asked the guys there if they had Muhammed Yunus' book. One guy ran off and found me one in Bangla. I told him I wanted one in english. He disappeared. He showed up about 5 minutes later saying that there wasn't one in this market but if I'd wait 10 minutes he would get me one. It turns out he knew where another market was that had it. So he ran to go get it and sure enough he found it. One thing that isn't in short supply here is cheap labor. There are tons of people here. I started to head back. I talked to a CNG driver and he said he would take me back for about $1.15. I thought to myself, "I was told it shouldn't cost more than about $.85." So I decided to walk farther. Then I decided to walk the entire way. It took me just under an hour to walk the entire distance. I wasn't walking slow either. I decided that for future references, it's worth paying the extra 30 cents that they charge me because I'm white. On a more positive note, it is incredibly safe here. There are tons of security people everywhere as well as tons of people in general. There is very little danger to walking for an hour outside after dark.

2 comments:

Shelley said...

Looks like they did a good job! Thanks for your considerate post :)

Unknown said...

I wish I understood how Cricket works. It's so flipping confusing....so