Saturday, October 25, 2008

The adventure thus far...

This past Monday my family dropped me off here in Akron, PA for 10 days of orientation before I head to Bangladesh. They had time to look around the facilities here before they had to continue on. Before they left, we all gathered in a circle and grandma Birkey prayed for me. It was a short and sweet but much to my surprise emotional prayer. I almost couldn't handle it.

This past week has been an interesting one. We did all did all sorts of introductions and trainings. I met two people whom I will be working with in Bangladesh for the next 3 years. They are really cool people and we all get along pretty well. At times in this whole process I have felt under qualified for the position I am heading into. I have had to keep remembering that God has placed me where I am and that I am capable of learning whatever I need to.

In my time here I've also made many other friends. Not the least of which is Mark and Janice who are a young Canadian couple heading to China. We've already decided we are all going to meet up in Nepal sometime. We've also already decided that I'll come up to Canada after we all get back to learn how to do Curling and Ice fishing local style.

Other than that, this week has mostly been filled with sessions over various things pertaining to MCC the organization and our relation to it.

Don't worry, the posts should liven up soon. I leave one week from this evening.

God Bless,
Phil

No comments: