Monday, October 31, 2011

Moments I Could Live in

Do you ever have those little moments that just make you feel at peace? They are glorious things in my life and I never grow tired of them. I probably need to think back to them in the moments when I wish I had a baseball bat to take to someone on the street because they are doing something really annoying to me (seriously a reoccurring desire even if I have never come close to acting on it). I've had a few of these moments in this past week which I will  indulge myself to share with you now.

This week I joined the guys from the office for lunch for the first time all month. After traveling for so long the joy of returning to what is essentially my "home" Bangla cooking is sensational. The smell when you walk in and the taste which is something comfortable and soothing that says to me, welcome home is a very relaxing experience. The company is pretty good too!

A sit down conversation with my boss Mokhles discussing what I need to do in the near future and what priority I should give everything is also a simple pleasure for me. I enjoy the result which is a peace about what my near future holds even if that is a lot of work.

Cooking something for the first time and having it turn out far better than you had anticipated was another wonder of the week. I had a bunch of vegetables in the fridge and decided to try making a cream sauce for them. Remembering that I had a bit of cheese that tasted pretty terrible in the freezer, I threw it in along with some left over ground pepper from the day before. The end result almost floored me with how fantastic it tasted in combination with bread, butter, and a chaser of iced tea!

I tried purchasing my tickets to go to Ireland for my wedding this week only to have the travel company contact me and say the price was going to be $190 more expensive than they quoted me. I cancelled my order only to realize that all the companies had raised their prices $200-300 since the previous day. You can imagine how great it felt when I found out that if I left a day later I could stay in Ireland an extra day longer than I had originally planned for a price that was cheaper than the ticket I originally tried to purchase! I don't know how the difference between Thursday and Friday is suddenly $350 but I'm not complaining one iota.

Prayer with a group of expats here in Bogra had to be by far the greatest moment of peace in my week. Saturday marked the first time since May that I was present for a gathering with a large portion of them all at once and just taking time to pray earnestly with them was such a blessing.

This has been a week of peace and blessings for me. What kinds of things have made you feel peace this past week?

No comments: