Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Change happens all the time

It isn't just over 3 years that change happens. This morning I woke up and was thinking about badminton since the staff asked me about it yesterday. In the Bogra office we have a tradition of playing badminton each year starting about this time. They were asking me if I had a racket since we are starting to gear up for it. I do have a racket. I bought it one year ago at about this time of the year. At the time, I figured I would be using it for just 2 months and then giving it away since I would leave before it was time to use it again. Extending wasn't a thought in my mind. Neither was Esther. Little did I know that I would have at least 2 more seasons to look forward to at that time.

When you think about it, this type of change happens all the time. I doubt that my dad would have thought that he would be using a cane to walk one year ago. My mother probably would have called my bluff if I had told her she would have a passport. One thing that is different though is that when you put yourself in a job like mine, change happens far more often and rapidly than if you were "settled" somewhere. As I mentioned in my previous post, 15 people have left MCC since I started working here. That isn't including the friends from other organizations that have done so as well. In fact, I have watched our expat friend group in Bogra go from 7 to 14 back to 6 in just 3 years. Changing life and friendships are just the name of the game here and you have to be able to adjust.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh honey, you are just now getting a good start learning about change. Your life will change your whole life. Get used to it! love you(some things don't change), Mom

amanda + daniel said...

Aww, I like your mom's comment. :)

So, you extended for 2 more years? I was just thinking about all the people we did MCC orientation with & how many are going home now, or how many are staying longer. We extended for 1 more year or at least that's the plan for now.

Phil Birkey said...

I originally extended 1 year and am now up to a 20 month extension that will keep me here till June of 2013. It is fun/weird to think of all the people from orientation and what they are up to now.