Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Surprise Blog!

That's right everyone, 2 days in a row! Bet you didn't see that coming.

I tried out a new bus route yesterday. Turns out that was a mistake for going but not so much for returning. I did however make a new friend. His name was Abdula. He is a military guy from Barisal though for some reason he didn't want to tell me he was working in the military at first. He was on his way to buy 4 plane tickets to Khulna which he informed me he could get for 1/2 price due to being in the military. Don't ask me how that works. He also mentioned something about being allowed to com-endear road transport if he wanted... Anyway, Abdula thought it was good of me to be marrying an Irish Teacher. He and the other passengers who took an active interest in our conversation were definitely looking out for me. They refused to give the bus conductor their fares until he gave me the 5 taka change that I was owed. People are very friendly here.

I find it interesting to ride the bus. I find that unlike when I'm walking on the street, most people will not talk to me unless I talk to them first. Even teenagers who are notorious for not caring about social norms and privacy seem to abide by this rule. Once I break through that barrier though I find that I have to be prepared for the normal barrage of questions and friendliness. Sometimes I just like to sit in silence and be just another passenger lost in my own thoughts starring idly at the world crawling by (crawling is a great descriptive word for Bangladesh as the bus goes very slow and the environment around it covered with swarms of people). Yesterday evening on the way home my thoughts turned towards running again. I wondered at the real possibility of running all the way to the office from Esther's side of town. It is 6 miles which is a decent distance but I have run 5 miles at a 10 minute mile pace before many times. With some effort I could get myself in really good shape and probably easily get myself down to a point where I could run a 6 mile distance in 45 minutes. For some insane reason I really want to do that now. Over the last couple of years I've often thought that I would love to run a half-marathon someday. 6 mile runs would be excellent for that. The office has showers in it so I could wash up on arrival. If I got too tired on the way I could just hop on a bus. At first I thought I was crazy for even thinking of it but the more I think the better I like the idea. Thoughts?

1 comment:

SueD said...

It would get you in shape for the wedding. But I don't think you need it.