Saturday, August 8, 2009

Well you gotta have faith

I'm not sure where I want to go with this post but "faith" is a topic I've been thinking about lately. I think it's a good topic to be thinking about. I also have an admission to make. Mine isn't all that strong.

In fact, it really bothers me when people make my coming to Bangladesh out to be some sort of giant, scary show of faith. What one does in daily moments no matter where they are, are the giant, scary show of faith things. Thus far, I've been pretty lost as to what that means here. I have lots of dreams as to what that could mean back in the states but very few here. I'm not sure what that says about me.

That said, just saying that I'm going to recommit myself to trying to figure that out isn't the answer. That is one of the weaknesses of my personality. I'm just not really driven to push myself like I should and really never have been at anything. I don't know that I have the answer as to how to fix this but my boss gave me a new idea a couple of weeks ago.

He was talking about doing development work and how a friend of his from his days in Africa had developed a system for getting the poor to help themselves. Essentially you get a village together and you just talk to them about their problems. Then you ask them what they could do in the next 6 months to make a difference in those problems. Then you ask them what they could do in the next 15 minutes to make a difference in those problems. The emphasis isn't solving the problems, it's on working towards making a difference in them. It seems to me that this might be worth checking out.

What can I do in any given 15 minutes to work towards my goal? I think I'm just going to start by trying to talk to people for longer than I usually feel comfortable.

Any thoughts? You wanna try it with me? (not my 15 minute goal, but your own based off of this method)

4 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I like that concept. I think I'm going to try that with a few of my goals.

Jill said...

I think this method could help me because I get stressed easily when looking at a big goal but if I break it down into small goals that I can work on now, things might not seem as overwhelming

Anonymous said...

I like this thought. A lot.