Sunday, August 23, 2009

The Good News

While Jesus is good news, that's not what I'm going to talk about here.



Sorry if I'm disappointing the evangelical in you.



The good news I'm talking about isn't even from Bangladesh. The good news is basically that all the news from home is pretty much great. I found out from one brother that I'm getting a new niece or nephew. I found out from another brother that he's getting married and has a new job. Not only that, the wedding date is set and I'll likely make it home for Bluffton's graduation, the wedding, and my birthday next summer. Tons of other people I know are getting married next summer (I count at least 5 weddings off the top of my head). I will be very surprised if I make it to any of them but I can still be happy for people right? My mom is even managing to sell some of my goats. That's kind of cool.

There is a little bit of bad news too. One of our bucks died and it appears that my car has done the same. I'm not too worried about those though. I definitely had an affinity for both but in the larger scheme of life they aren't really all that important.

In other news, Ramadan has started here. I find it very amusing that they mark the beginning and the end of the fasting times with a tornado siren. I find it less amusing that the first one goes off before 6 in the morning. I've heard that the poor people (like rickshaw pullers) don't keep the fast because they have to eat to work. I wonder how that affects their mentality on life? Feel free to ask any other questions you might have about Ramadan. I'm learning about this myself and I can't profess to know all that much.

2 comments:

abbi stern said...

ok so explain ramadan how you've seen living amidst it-- are people crankier?

Sonya Chisenhall said...

for the first month i lived in israel it was ramadan and also my first exposure to the "holiday". we made the mistake of walking through the arab quarter scarfing down some delicious pastry. also, when i went to buy a chess set it was about sunset and the shopkeeper became very cranky when we were bargaining and insulted because he wanted to close up shop and get to the closest food.