Saturday, May 2, 2009

The importances of water...

I was sick yesterday. My stomach hurt and I developed a headache. It wasn't until about 7pm that I finally recognized that it was dehydration. The problem I had yesterday was that I drank koolaid instead of water. Lately I've been drinking over a gallon of water a day and that's just sitting at a desk all day. I shudder to think how much I would have to drink if I were working hard. This isn't the first run in I've had with dehydration since I got here either. I've had several days where I was just suddenly sick and had to force myself to drink a bunch to get my fluids back to normal. I generally start my work day off with a 1 liter Nalgene full of water and always have finished at least a refill of that by lunch. I guess I only mention all this because, while I usually sweat a lot, I've never had hydration problems in the past. Keeping hydrated was just something I did, not something I had to think about making sure it happens. I guess this is kind of like a small scale version of what having to think to breathe would be like.

It has also rained twice in the past 2 days. Two nights ago it rained for a short time and that chilled the night off quite nicely. Unfortunately, it also made yesterday quite hot and humid. Then again this morning it rained, but this time it poured for a good long time. As a result today has been really nice. I woke up to the rain this morning and since my windows were open I got to sit and watch it on the courtyard below as well as just smell it. I sometimes forget how pleasant a good rain always smells. In talking to one of my co-workers who happened to be in the office today I found out that next month it will start raining in earnest. He says sometimes it is possible for it to rain for 10-15 straight days during the rainy season and that it will almost always rain every day for some time period. I'm not sure how I'll feel about rain in 2 or 3 months but as of right now I'm really looking forward to it because I haven't seen much of it for the past 6 months and they just about have the roof up on our new house. That is a completely different subject though and I will refrain from going there. Maybe I'll post some pictures of that process later.

2 comments:

Shelley said...

Aww! Drink water! Water is good! Are there certain foods or anything that help with water-retention? Would that even be a healthy things? I'm glad to hear that it rained again (According to Nate, I think even again since you posted this!). Sweet bike! Let's have a SE Asia bike tour!

Unknown said...

I have that problem too (smaller scale of course). When I used to work at camps, I had a water bladder with a hose that I kept in my backpack and I would fill it up at breakfast, again at lunch, and once during the heat of the afternoon. Now I'm a teacher and I'm not as active (or outside) as I used to be, so I find I drink more soda or coffee and I tend to get dehydrated. Keep drinking that water. Come back healthy.