Friday, April 24, 2009

My Place

I got a couple of responses back from my last blog post. All of them were from family members. All of them lead me to believe that the rest of my family believes in a more straightforward perception of reality than me. I'm ok with that, I'm actually quite happy with that because it keeps me grounded. That said, I still think I'm on to a little bit of something with my idea of how our perception of time affects our lives. My mother is correct in pointing out that a year is still a year but how we see that year is something different. Think of when you were in school. What did you measure your year around? Summer vacation right? What happened when you finished school? What has that done to your concept of time?

In an address to Jon's statement about me thinking to much I would like to say a little something. I found this quote on the internet today and I'm instantly a big fan of it. I hope the source doesn't mind me borrowing it but as it is perfectly legal for me to do so regardless of their feelings I'll do it without asking. "The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think." by Horace Walpole It seems to me that my problem is that I both feel strongly and think strongly. It keeps life interesting.

In the past week I've hung out with the Korean's a couple of times. Today is one of my co-worker's birthday so we got invited over for a Korean meal as a result. Korean barbecue is amazing. Today we are heading to my co-worker's host family's house to celebrate with them. It should be quite intersting to see how that one turns out. Then tomorrow I think we'll be having a worship time and Monopoly game with the Koreans. Also, I think a couple of us are going to start up reading through the Purpose Driven Life together. I'm kind of looking forward to checking that out because I was in college when Howard-Miami went through it.

In my work this past week I had my 6 month review. 6 months!!! It hasn't seemed that long. I also finished putting together a survey for our monthly meeting this next week. I wrote it up in English and then my boss translated it into Bangla. The translation ended up being a tricky process because like any two languages, things don't translate exactly. After several discussions the third draft turned out to be satisfactory. I also found out that I've been put on a committee of three to plan our next all staff retreat. I guess I shouldn't be surprised because I've been open about that fact that I would be willing to help out with such things but now that I've been told to do it I'm slightly afraid I'll screw it all up. I should be fine though, I've done enough event planning in the past. Besides, I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and gosh darn it people like me.

This next week could be an intersting one. We start off the week with our monthly meeting and I'll get my surveys filled out. Then I might either go South to Dhaka for some business or go North to a village for work. I might also do both. I'm not sure what will happen, but it will happen and I'll deal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love this line... "Besides, I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and gosh darn it people like me." :)