Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The Clock

So I was writing an email the other day and I had one of those aha moments. I was thinking about how I approach things and I realized that very little about me has changed since I was a little child. Please let me take the time to draw you an analogy as to why I think this is true. My grandma loves to tell the story about the time when I destroyed her clock. Any time we are talking about things I did as a child she brings it up. You see, I'm a deeply curious person and always have been. I want to know why things work and all the factors behind them. So you can imagine the torture a clock would have been for me as a child. What makes the dials turn and why so steadily? So one day I got my hands on my grandma's clock and probably a screw driver. I dismantled it completely and of course grandma caught me at the end of the act. She asked me why I had done it and I of course came up with an intelligent response of something like, "I don't know, I wanted to know what was inside." (I wasn't conniving enough yet at that age to lie) Here comes the key part though, as grandma tells the story she always comments about how we never did get that clock back together again. That was the aha moment in my reminiscing! You see I love to try to dismantle everything in the world around me so I can understand or even just partially understand how they work. Sometimes this is a physical dismantling and sometimes it applies to concepts which I take apart in my mind. Unfortunately, as in the case of the clock, oftentimes my attempts to reassemble things would be an utter disaster. I mean with time, I have gotten better at getting them back together but it isn't always the case. I guess what I'm trying to say with all this is watch me! I might take apart your clock and not be able to put it together again! At the same time though, there are probably some things you can allow me to do. I think maybe under supervision I could clean the clock or just open the case and look at how it works. If you let me do these kinds of things you might learn a few things about said clock yourself and maybe come out of it with a better clock in the long run of things (through the cleaning or in a better understanding of what you are looking for in the next version). For your everyone's sake though, don't let me destroy clocks.

In other news, I would like to thank my younger brother Jon for a wonderful idea. Last year through a process of family trips to visit him at college we would often go to a local pizza buffet because it was cheap. He liked talk about the peanut butter and jelly pizza they had sometimes and how amazing it was. Well, I had never had it but seeing as how we have peanut butter, jelly, and a cook who does a good job making pizza crust here, we decided to try it out. It was amazing! I would suggest anyone and everyone try it if you haven't already. That said, I also got really sick last night and ended up throwing some of it up. Turns out it's also the best tasting puke I've ever had too! I'm feeling a lot better this morning and hope you can forgive me for ruining this post by adding that last bit.

No comments: