Sunday, May 31, 2009

The War has begun...

The other night I was going to the bathroom and when I opened the door there was about 6 cockroaches right inside of it. Two ran at my feet, THEY RAN AT MY FEET!!! I don't appreciate that kind of action at any time and especially not when I have to pee. So I naturally went on a killing spree. I started by letting them go back to their hole in the wall. I then went and got a can of bug spray. I fogged their hole pretty good and they came spilling out. So I of course turned tail and ran away like the big baby I can be sometimes. The next morning I walked into the bathroom and saw eight cockroaches on their backs. I was pretty proud of myself and immediately thought it would be funny to scare a friend with them (she later informed me that if I had succeeded she would have killed me). I got a box to put them in but as I started to scoop the first one into the box it suddenly sprang back to life and started scurrying rapidly! I of course followed the previous night's actions of running away. I came back quickly, armed with a sandal and meaning business. I didn't leave it to chance on any of them. That was how it began. Since then I have probably killed close to another 15 cockroaches in my house and another house. We had a nice deal, but they broke it by running at my feet.

One thing I forgot to mention in my last post was that it was 41 degrees Celsius here last weekend. That's something like 108 degrees Fahrenheit. Combine that with some humidity and it was down right nasty during the middle of the day. But then a cyclone came through. It cooled things off but also took out our power. Where I am it was pretty much just a bunch of wind with a little bit of rain. Unfortunately for at least 155 Bengali people it was also their cause of death. At this point there are also a fair amount of people without food or drinking water as a result of the storm. Prayers for them and the families of those who didn't survive would be very welcome.

The only other interesting thing from this past week was probably my bike race with a couple of nice young Bengali men. I was out on a bike ride with one of my co-workers and a young guy rides up next to us. His buddy who was riding on the back luggage rack (a very common site here) started trying to talk to us in english. Not being in the conversation mood we just sped up to try and leave them. They increased to follow suit and tried to talk to me again. So I accelerated to a pretty decent clip. They matched me and from the smile on their faces I think they thought they had me, but then I really started sprinting and try as he might the guy pedaling could'nt keep up despite the fact that both of us left my co-worker a little ways back. I think they got the point because they soon disappeared. Most of the time I would have just sucked it up and talked to them but sometimes it I just don't feel like it.

4 comments:

Sonya Chisenhall said...

so, i'm reading this book http://tonymorganlive.com/book/ right now and every time i pick it up i think about you and your battle with the cockroaches.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Sounds like me with spiders. Except instead of bug spray, it's air freshener, Scrubbing Bubbles (they do the work so you don't have to), or whatever I can find lying around. Glad you survived the harrowing ordeal.

My verification word is "emuse." What do you suppose that is? Is it like bemuse or amuse? Or is it more like someone/something online that inspires?

Kaihaku said...

You can't trust cockroaches. I don't know if you knew Eridon in Bluffton, but she also faced betrayal by a cockroach in Japan.