Saturday, May 16, 2009

So I was reading an article on ESPN.com today and a quote from Wayman Tisdale stood out to me as something worth sharing.

"Nothing can change me," Tisdale told The Associated Press last June. "You go through things. You don't change because things come in your life. You get better because things come in your life."

That's how I strive to see life.



This past week was a rough one at times but in the end it was a very self-fulfilling one. I've been able to refocus on some things and resolve them in my mind and that's always a blessing. Life isn't perfect but I'd be surprised if it was.

On a lighter note I had a chance to reflect on some things I never would have known I would see here as I rode the local bus this week.
- I never would have guessed that I would see my dumb ideas from back in the states being used successfully by bengali people. I saw a man successfully working on telephone wires in the middle of the street at the top of a 25ft. bamboo ladder being held up by 5 men at its base. This, as I reflected at the moment, was much dumber than my idea of using a tripod ladder to change the light bulb in the stairway back at home.
- I never would have guessed that I'd meet a Muslim man working for a Catholic Mission via a Mennonite Organization. That is the power of MCC I guess. We even had a nice discussion on religion at lunch.
-Finally, I never thought I would have a guy rubbing his sweaty butt up and down my leg for 1o minutes while I rode that local bus. He spilled his rice so he just turned towards his seat in the aisle and squatted with his bum against my leg like it was no big deal. Being that I am who I am, I let him go and used that moment to reflect on these oddittees.

5 comments:

Jill said...

That's an interesting quote...I like it

Dad said...

"much dumber than my idea of using a tripod ladder to change the light bulb in the stairway back at home."

That's debatable.

Aunt S said...

If life was perfect it would be a boring.

Dad said...

You are probably right; it does seem riskier than your idea. However, if the person fell from 25 ft., the people below had time to either catch him or get out of the way! I wonder how they determine who goes up, draw straws?

Unknown said...

"You get better because things come in your life." That's a good philosophy. I try to not regret anything, but rather learn from everything.

The ladder thing would have been interesting to watch, though I probably wouldn't have been able to take my eyes off of it until it was over.

As for the guy on the bus...thanks for the unwanted visual.