Sunday, January 30, 2011

Reality

I talked last time about how I'm writing goals going forward. Unfortunately, the reality that I see for the near future is that I'm going to be doing a fair amount of work that I find tedious and boring. I'm actually blogging right now because I don't feel like doing that work, but I will get back to it shortly and try to hammer away at it. I just have to keep in mind the larger picture of what I'm doing here. I think I might have mentioned before that many of the things that I end up doing here are either boring or are only interesting to me (meaning I can't tell others about them because they would find it boring). On top of that, most of the interesting stuff I do isn't stuff I feel is appropriate to share publicly. The big picture, as I have been realizing more and more lately, is that by helping out in getting the mundane things done, I am able to give our program here more and more ability to think about what it means to do things the "MCC way". That ends up meaning that we do more and more things in a way that is purposeful rather than just a way that gets tasks done. That, to me, is the ultimate excitement. I mean, we are already helping poor people who are very much worthy of being loved, which is exciting in and of itself, but as I've been reminded often lately, we need to be mindful that what we are doing isn't just vanity.

No comments: