Saturday, January 22, 2011

Choices

I completely missed out on posting last week, sorry to those who check for updates regularly (probably just my parents).

Some of you may know that I've been considering an extension of my term her for the last several months. It has been a bit of a challenging process for me. When I was home this past summer I was pretty set on the fact that I didn't feel like I should extend even if that meant I didn't know what I would do when I got back. Unfortunately, when I was eventually offered an extension, I felt a leap in my gut saying, "take it!" I've been praying about what all this means and talking to family about it. I don't feel like I've received any particular feedback from God and my family has been nothing but understanding and supportive either way. All that has left me in limbo for awhile. I struggled with what it means since this is no small matter. Eventually I decided that maybe God wasn't giving more feedback because God already put that leap in my gut. Admittedly, I'm not Elizabeth and it wasn't John the baptist leaping down there, but I like to try and listen when I think God is speaking. With that in mind, I decided to do a one year extension on the end of my term which means I'll be here until Oct. 2012.

I'm actually happy about it. I am viewing this time as a transition time for me to take steps towards doing some things that I have been wanting to do but haven't committed myself to doing previously. I'm excited about the possibilities. At the same time, I doubt I'll be extending beyond the 1 year I already have. It could certainly happen, but I'm thinking it will take an act of God to make me believe I should. Speaking of which, those of you who would like to may contact my mother who will probably be organizing a committee to pray that such an act of God doesn't occur.

5 comments:

Andrea said...

Yeah! So glad you are extending! I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision but, it sounds like you have a peace about it. One more year of Phil! :-)

Anonymous said...

We took a poll on this very subject last night. You'd be surprised on the outcome. Mom

Anonymous said...

are you sure the leap in your stomach wasn't something you ate? jon

Ben said...

Wow good for you! I'll have to find some excuse to come back and visit. I hear Iris is coming this summer

abigail stern said...

hey congrats! your service is much needed over there for sure.... and just to be sure, you dont have a lil john the baptist growing too, right? God does do some crazy things... ;)