Friday, January 28, 2011

One of these days...

This last week I was stuck in a meeting (one of several). Only in this meeting I did something abnormal; I made a list. On this list I started writing down things I wanted to do during my remaining time in Bangladesh. I'm not normally a list person but in recent months I've found that having a list helps me get stuff done. It gives me goals to achieve and that, I think, is something I really need to do in my life.

Then later in the week, we had some visitors from MCC here writing stories. I helped to take them around to a couple of our projects and got to see some new interesting stuff myself. As we walked around I reminisced about how much I love being around farming and sharing stories. I think that is why I still consider working at Weldon Mast's grain elevator my favorite job of all time but that is besides the point. Now that I'm back and reflecting on my time out in the field, I've been thinking about making goals for life beyond Bangladesh.

Given the week, I think it is only fair to myself to set my first goal as:
  1. Be a successful farmer.
I don't know how long I'm going to make this list and I doubt much of it will be public. I'm also quite sure I'll pursue and achieve other goals before this one, but this is a beginning. My first, "one of these days..."

No comments: