Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Motorcyle

You ever have those moments where almost everything goes terribly wrong and yet you get invigorated when things end up all right? One of those occurred to me last night. I was driving the motorcycle home rather than the usual bicycle ride because I wanted to come into the office early this morning. Unfortunately, another motorcycle (I didn't see it because it was black and not in throttle so his lights were dimmed) tried crossing the road and cut me off. I couldn't go right because that is the direction he was coming from and I would have clipped him. I couldn't go left because there was a CNG (think steel cage on wheels) that he was corralling me towards. So I slammed on the brakes and started yelling to catch his attention. I had the back of the motorcycle sliding sideways but never locked up the front tire and never laid it down. By the time I reached him, he had stopped, I popped down a couple of gears, and slowly drove through the 3 foot gap he had left between him and the CNG while giving him a dirty look. That was when I realized that there were 15 or so people standing alongside the road mimicking my alarmed yell in what I think was an attempt to chide him (or maybe me?). I laughed at this and drove on without looking back at the guy again but feeling pretty darn good about my evasive maneuvering skills. That said, for my sake and my mother's sanity, I need to drive even more defensively than I already do here.

No comments: