Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Safety

So I've had a few people wondering about our safety here in regards to the recent news about Osama Bin Laden.

I'd first like to take a moment to ask American Christians why they are celebrating his death so wildly? I'm no biblical scholar but I'm pretty sure that when Jesus says, "Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you." he doesn't mean that you should be celebrating wildly at their death. Might I suggest solemn reflection on the fact that we live in a world that has gotten so violent and what we do that perpetuates this? It might also be worth reflecting on the fact that those celebrations often times end up leading to more violence which is why I'm getting questions about safety.

I've never felt threatened by people in Bangladesh. There have been times that I have felt threatened and unsafe on the roads but that was from buses and trucks not people. Despite warnings from various people before I left the States about not trusting Muslims, I have found the primarily Muslim Bengali people to way more hospitable and friendly than even American people are. It is part of their culture which has existed since before Islam came to the area. That said, I've heard rumors that there are conservative Islamic elements in Bengali society. The rumors are that they are sent money from elements in the middle east for fundamentalist schools. I guess it is possible that these groups could eventually do something to me but I doubt they will. These groups are being carefully scrutinized by the current government here and I would guess they are much more likely to be angry with the government of Bangladesh than me. I was just told the other day that someone heard that the people in my neighborhood really like MCC and its employees.

That said, no one here has talked much with me about what happened. Even the Muslim staff used to joke about Al Qaeda and the menace they are. Bengali people are a typically very open and direct about things involving politics so I'm kind of surprised by this. I'm not sure what to make of it. I have a couple of theories though. One theory is that I just haven't been talking to people enough that the subject has come up. Another is that they are talking about it but not around me because they aren't sure what is appropriate to say. They seem to be treating the news fairly calmly and solemnly. Maybe that means that they have mixed feelings? I imagine his death as a Muslim at the hands of a tactical strike team leaves Muslim Bengalis with all sorts of things to debate. No one here seemed to like Osama Bin Laden before this went down but I don't get the impression that they are happy this went down.

I've received the warnings about higher levels of danger for Americans from the US Embassy here in Bangladesh but their emails typically read as if you'll die if you step out your front door in Bangladesh. That makes it hard to read if there is any real threat out there. I doubt it, but I certainly feel a small bit less safe than I did a few days ago.

1 comment:

Steven said...

Thanks for giving us an update. I have two questions about this:

1. Has MCC given you any warnings or advice on safety?

2. Do you think the bit of disappointment (for lack of a better word) among Bengali Muslims is from bin Laden's death or the celebration they see coming from America over it? In other words, do you think the public celebrations here have made those in the middle over there upset?