Sunday, March 20, 2011

A Girlfriend?

Some of you may be aware of recent events in my life and others may not be so I figure I'll tell this story once and get it all out of the way.

I now have a girlfriend. She is real and not a cat as my brother has suggested. Her name is Esther Clarke and she's a teacher at Grace International School in Dhaka. She is Irish with a lovely accent and a beautiful smile. We originally met at a party some friends were having and I assisted her to win a game of Settlers (meaning I lost badly). That didn't lead to anything other than an invite to the next party with that group of mutual friends which happened to be her birthday party. We didn't really talk much their either but I brought some cookies and cake that I had baked which led to us talking on facebook.

She seemed pretty cool on facebook so I asked if she wanted to get coffee the next time I was in Dhaka for a weekend. She obviously said yes. We met for what I thought would be 1-2 hours and a cup of coffee on a Saturday afternoon before I headed back to Bogra. It was 4.5 hours later when either of us bothered looking at a clock. She was late to make dinner for some friends and I was late to catch a bus to Bogra. I think both of us were pleasantly caught off guard.

Things have progressed from there smoothly even though I'm still not sure what she sees in me. ;-) As far as what I see in her...well I guess that is for another post but I will say one thing to calm any fears my family might have, she can take being the butt of a joke and that is really all it takes to fit in with us right? I look forward to seeing where God might lead Esther and I.

1 comment:

Suz said...

I'm glad to have read this post as I feel I have a one up on Mark since he wouldn't take any details about Esther over the phone. I know you wanted to talk about her, but Mark is so intent on seeing your expression when you get back home and tell us about her.

It's fun that you met her while at a party playing Settlers (imagine that) and can admit that you lost the game, albeit badly. Must have been too busy trying to figure out what to say to her and not paying enough attention to the game. ;) Didn't want to admit that did ya?

Or maybe was it that you forgot what red hair looked like & lost your focus on the game?

Either way, I happy for you!