Saturday, December 12, 2009

I've been wanting to...

I've been wanting to write on here. I really have. I just didn't really have good motivation behind that desire. My mother sent me an email saying I'm failing to do this. I had been thinking about that before she sent the email but likely wouldn't be writing this even now if it weren't for that email. I do have to confess that my not updating this blog has not been the only way I've failed her. I managed to forget to call her on her birthday. Somehow it got sandwiched between a Colts victory and my housemates birthday this year. That's the best reason I can come up with as to how that brain fart happened.

Lately I've been riding motorcycle or bicycle to work. Unfortunately, it's dark when I come and when I leave from work. It's also very foggy at night now. The combination of the dark and the fog make already dangerous roads all that much more dangerous. That and the 20 minutes or so that driving them affords me each way gives me way to much time to think about life. Too many serene thoughts have been thought on that ride recently.

Speaking of thoughts. I made Nate a cake for his birthday the other day. Only we didn't have enough eggs when I wanted to bake it. Daniel told me to run to the village shop to get some. I hadn't been there before and didn't know the price of eggs. It wasn't a trip that I relished making. Armed with directions on how to find it and Daniel's word that eggs weren't that expensive I headed out because I really wanted to make the cake pretty badly. I got to the shop and asked for 8 eggs. She named her price of 48 taka for them (roughly $.75). I told her I thought that was a little expensive (based off of Daniel's comment). She proceeded to get very angry with me and give me a lecture (in Bangla of course) about how this is the only shop in town and that the price is correct. Still not knowing what was up I bought the eggs and high tailed it back to the house. Unfortunately for me, all the kids who had gathered on my shopping adventure thought my not knowing the price of eggs was hilarious. They of course quickly ran home to tell their families the funny story except for one boy. He decided to ride his bicycle right next to me and tell me how dumb I had been. If you know me, I was obviously not enjoying this too much. I ended up telling him to shut up (luckily he did) and got back to my house ASAP. The cake was delicious, but I'm sure I haven't heard the end of this story yet. After I'm gone I'll probably always be remembered as the silly Bideshi that didn't know the price of eggs.

I've also recently taken up playing badminton left handed. I got tired of my right shoulder hurting so I just switched arms. I'm absolutely terrible left handed. All the losing is tearing at my competitive side but I'm committed to this.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I liked the story about the eggs, lol. As for the badminton, I bet you could still beat me, even left-handed. I took badminton for PE credit in college and made an utter fool of myself. And think of it this way...doing tasks left-handed that you normally do right-handed builds synapses in your brain, which helps increas your memory. So you've got that.