Tuesday, November 24, 2009

In Nepal, again...

So I've returned to Nepal again. I spent that last 9 days here attending the World Aprecciative Inquiry conference and visiting IDE projects with my boss. Those days were very interesting. Appreciative Inquiry seems like something that could have huge implications upon how we do our work as MCC. Basically, the concept was born out of someone looking at something like a newspaper and realizing that all we ever think about is negatives. The question is raised then, what happens if we start targeting positives instead? The idea that this has birthed is that by focusing on our strengths we can actually use them to cover up most of our weaknesses and in a much healthier way. As with all things, I think this has it's place in what we do but don't really see it as a perfect solution. The IDE visit was to see some of their agriculture work and we shared some really good information back and forth. That said, I'm still in Nepal even after those trips. All the flights are full so I've had to wait for an additional 2 days in Katmandhu by myself. It's given me a lot of time to think and here are some of my musings:

I've been sick in 5 different countries now. Canada is the only country I've been to in which I can't remember getting sick. I've thrown up in at least 3 of those 5 countries. I might have thrown up in a 4th one but that would require some double checking to verify as I don't remember.

Throwing up doesn't seem as horrible now as it used to when I was a child. The past several times I've thrown up it's seemed much more like a pleasent thing rather than a bad experience. I don't even recall having a bad aftertaste in my mouth after any of them. I can remember once here in Bangladesh in which I wished I could throw up and couldn't manage, it was horrible.

I'm hands down an extrovert. When I'm left by myself for too long I absolutely hate it. I've been on my own for about 36 hours now and am just fed up with it.

When I'm around people too much I get burned out. I take on more than I should sometimes just mentally other times physically. I should let that go and just do what I can.

"the kiss glows in his heart" (The Brothers Karamozov by Fyodor Dostoevsky) I read this quote in a different book but it really struck me anyway. I'm not one for setting specific goals in life because I figure I need to leave things up to God but I will profess to having one solid goal. When I'm dead and gone I want to be remembered as one who has left kisses that glowed on other's hearts. (I feel like I've done this in many relationships in life and yet know I have many more that I could do a much better job of this.)

8lbs of coffee is a lot

well, that's all I'll post for now...enjoy

3 comments:

Steven said...

You've barely got me beat. Nepal was my third country to be sick and throw up in out of the six total I have been in.

Steven said...

You've barely got me beat. I've only been sick and thrown up in three of the six countries I've been in.

abbi stern said...

idea: get out on the town, since youre so bored by yourself! lol jk, im sure you are