Sunday, December 27, 2009

Christmas!


It's not one of those fancy Christmas card pictures with my family and pets but I figured some of you might enjoy a Christmas picture of me. I got new glasses since my last publicly released photo but the lighting makes them hard to see.



This was my second Christmas in Bangladesh and my first in which I didn't have a trip planned (some of you may remember I joined some co-workers for a trip to Cox's Bazar and St. Martin's Island last Christmas). In a sense that made it much more awkward than last Christmas. The lead up to it didn't feel much at all like Christmas other than the cookie baking day at the Miller's flat, Nate's constant playing of Christmas tunes, and some Church services referencing Christmas' coming. I did have a tree thanks to my mother sending me one last year, but without everyone being in the spirit of Christmas is just doesn't feel the same. I also remembered how much I truly enjoy Howard-Miami Mennonite Church's Christmas eve service. In spite of all that, Christmas day was about as normal of a Christmas for me as I think I'll ever have in Bangladesh. A bunch of us gathered at Jodi's house where she had cooked up a storm and served us a nice brunch. We then read the story of Christ's birth and did some hymn singing. We followed that up by lounging around, talking, watching Christmas movies, and eating lots of snack foods. At the end of the day, I called home and found out that I was wrong in speculating that someone might be up by 7:30 (I figured they would at least be getting ready to do chores by then). They all managed to wake up and chat with me despite their sleepiness. That's really all there is to say about my Christmas. It was good to have friends to share it with but I think I might want to consider going on a trip for Christmas next year. It just works better that way in my opinion.

Today is some sort of holiday (Muslim I think?) so we've had a 5 day weekend here. Other than the Christmas activities, it's really been mostly boring. No one has even been at the office to play badminton with me. I've dealt with this extra time on my hands by taking my time when I'm traveling back and forth from the house. This allows me to gawk right back at those watching me as I ride by. It's really quite a fun game to play when you are bored because bengali's are doing all sorts of stuff everywhere.

I've also done a bit of free lance cooking. I made a dish that is a rice-a-roni like dish. Or at least what I imagine a rice-a-rone dish might be like because I've never actually had rice-a-roni. I basically did some vegetable and rice mixed in with some beef but flavored taco meat style where you boil off the water. Serve it with some fresh cabbage from the garden and some nan picked up from a resturant in town. Nate and I both thought it was a tasty meal.

I have also managed to get most of the way through both books that my mother gave me for Christmas already. She sent me a couple of her copies of books from the Home to Harmony series by Philip Gulley. They are a good humorous light read. Great for lazy days like the last couple of mine.


Here is hoping that all your Christmas' were more exciting than mine! (but not in a bad way of course)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I dig the glasses.

Joyce Schumacher said...

Phil, it's fun to read your blogs.I'm glad you had a nice Christmas away from home. Offices at Bluffton were closed from December 24-January 4. Students return on Sunday. It's snowy so I expect there will be sledding on Marbeck trays next week. In the alumni office it's time to begin working on May Day. The first Bluffton May Day was celebrated in 1910 so this is a centennial year for the ceremony. The Maypole dance didn't begin until 1913. The dancers will have new outfits this year! I believe you wore aqua back in 2005. Think about us on May 8 as we celebrate this wonderful old tradition. Best wishes as you continue your work in Bangladesh. Joyce Schumacher, Alumni events coordinator.

Erica said...

hahahaha. oh little phil. nice christmas card.