Saturday, February 21, 2009

Retreat...

We had our Ex-pat staff retreat this past couple of days. I learned a few things over the course of it.

Bangladesh does indeed actually have a tourist spot for ex-pats. Up until this point I had doubted it's existence, but the tea gardens are a nice get away. Unfortunately they still prove to not have post-cards to send to my mother.

I really like being outdoors in nature. In fact, so much so that I am willing to give up naps that I should probably have taken. In other news, I feel kind of like a kid again. It seemed like no matter what we did I had tons of energy left over to do more. Except that one afternoon where I sat and played a card game with the ladies.

I am still a Birkey man. We were playing a game where you had to get the others to guess the emotion you were trying to portray out of 10 options. You had to read set words off of a card. Normally I would feel real confident in my odds at this game but I think I was doing pretty bad. I got a card that said, "stop in the name of love" and I was supposed to act it out as if I was "in love." I failed miserably, no one even guessed right, the most picked answer was "tense," and I was made of fun of for the rest of the trip. I found it quite humorous that I messed that up so badly but not very surprising. I mean, I feel like we Birkey men aren't known for being the traditional version of romantic. If any of my brothers or dad take objection to this statement, I feel like you should take another long hard look at your life.

Overall I thought the time spent was indeed very relaxing. It was a great break from all the intense reading I've been doing over the past 2 weeks. I did some evaluating of where I am with God and changed some thought patterns. Maybe I'll talk about those later but for right now I'm a little sick and have lots of work to do.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey that’s O.K., go ahead and poke fun at your brothers and me. They may take exception with your statement about not being romantic in the “traditional sense”, but I know I have room for improvement in this area. But I know that it is now going on 29 years, and your mother and I can still tell each other “I love you” every day. I hope you are as fortunate as I am!

Question- How could you be "tense"? Maybe you recalling times meeting a girl's parents!

Glad to hear you and your fellow MCC'ers had a good time. You are in our prayers.