Sunday, October 10, 2010

Beggars

In Bangladesh there are many beggars. Many of them are professionals and many of those are organized by and give cuts to some sort of overlord. This creates many ethical problems. You want to help people who really need it but you don't want to perpetuate a system of oppression such as that run by the overlords. I guess I should also mention the massive volume of beggars that exist. It is truly disheartening. I've been here two years now and this is an issue that never gets easier to deal with.

For the last couple of months I've tried out a new strategy that I heard about from an ex-MCC worker. I keep a wad of small (but still large compared to what beggars normally get from an individual person here) bills in my pocket. Every time I have a beggar approach me, I always give them one. This comes from my tithing money. The thing about this that has shocked me is that I haven't even once come close to going through my entire tithe in a month of doing this. It's actually quite amazing how little I go through. Of course when I give to people I try to take the time to look them in the eye or ask them a few questions about themselves which also creates a bit of connection. I may not be doing anything about the overlord thing but I do feel better that I'm at least trying something. I do still feel bad though about not doing more to help these people out.

The other interesting thought I had this morning was about what beggars are. Beggars are just people asking for something which they've done nothing to earn and receive what they are asking for as an act of compassion from the one who gives. Remind you of anything? As Christians are we not all beggars desiring God's forgiveness and grace? Strangely enough, that thought came from reading Mark 9:33-37 in Jesus tells the disciples who the greatest amongst them is. His answer was that a child was the greatest and that whoever seeks to be the greatest must first submit to being the least. Which got me thinking of who the very least in the world is and the beggars came to mind.

4 comments:

Mark B said...

Thanks for sharing this Phil. I have used a similar philosophy when traveling. - Mark

Anonymous said...

Phil - these are good thoughts - I had heard about the "small bills wad" before as well - I think it's a good system. Guess what? I'm coming to Bogra tomorrow!! See you soon...

Larry

Sonya Chisenhall said...

good thought & action phil. i've always struggled with just passing beggars even in the states. i know some are legit but others are not. but, who am i to know and shouldn't i still show the kindness of Christ?

Phil Birkey said...

Has anyone heard of other ways of dealing with this issue? I'm always willing to listen to a new idea!