Sunday, September 26, 2010

Back to Reality

So it seems that last week's optimistic post was just a cruel joke. Remember that shaken part, well some of it shook off on me and I got sick. In the middle of this, all the work I was doing in Dhaka followed me back home. Not all was bad, I did get to work at the Cow data but even that was missing enough that I can't see any clear results yet. I should get the rest of that today. Then I hop on the bus to Dhaka tomorrow morning because the work that followed me home is dragging me back to Dhaka. Not all is bad in this because I'll get to see Austin for the first time in several months. Basically though, there is a lot on my plate and I'm feeling it. I caught myself actually getting stressed out this morning. The defining characteristics of this side of my personality are extremely short patience and a bit of a contentious nature. My family knows this side of me very well where as I probably do a decent job of hiding it from most of the rest of the world. It is typically brought on by a situation (that is urgent in my mind) in which I feel like I should have some amount of control. If it is absolute chaos, no problem, but if I've got a little bit of a sense of control I turn into a nut job at times. I've recovered as I'm apt to do and intend to apologize to someone I had a work related phone conversation with. They didn't do anything to deserve my crappy attitude. Now I'm on to working with urgency to solve the problem without the attitude in tow!

In other news, I saw a Bengali man with the funkiest looking teeth ever this morning on my ride to work. Imagine the "billy bob" teeth that you can buy for costumes, only his over bite was off-center which made it even more pronounced. To his credit though, he still had all of his teeth.

I'll be sleeping at the office tonight. This is partly because I have a 5:15 a.m. bus in the morning and partly so I can make sure to listen to both the Atlanta Braves game (Brandon Beachy is pitching!) and the Colts game (I don't know any of them but I'm a complete addict). I just need to make sure that I behave emotionally and production-wise tomorrow despite my lack of sleep. I really probably shouldn't put this kind of stress on myself each week but it's only for 16 weeks and it really does give me a sense of connection to home. Connection to home certainly trumps 3 hours of sleep right?

2 comments:

Steven said...

Do you think the Bengali man with the off center overbite got hit in the jaw by a wood post while trying to unload a wagon of round bales?

Phil Birkey said...

Of course not, not even malnourished Bengali are short sighted enough to do that...