Saturday, September 18, 2010

Back to Balance and Joy

Oh the joys of being home! I get to sleep in my own bed and ride my bicycle. I also get to see my co-workers and hear about how someone in their family was sick at some point during the holidays. (Seriously, take 160 million people, shake violently aka. make them go home [where they will visit lots of friends and family] at the same time, add in 1 part of lots of rain to increase water born illness, and you get tons of sick people.) I also get to ride my bicycle by two dogs casually having "fun" on the road. This of course made me think of my brothers because all of us would have laughed at this random happenstance. It also brought back some good memories of the time when my brother and dad visited. Of course, I'm also back to having children scream at me as I ride my bicycle by and wondering if they'll ever realize that I can hear them just fine if they talk normally. Still, I like it much better here than in Dhaka. I have friends and am able to get exercise easily which are two things that really help me keep my life in balance. Now if I can just leverage that balance into getting additional work done...

Speaking of work, I've got a 2 inc thick stack of surveys sitting on my desk just waiting for me to parse through them and find out all the magical secrets that our dairy cow project holds. The several hours it will take to enter the data won't be all that fun but I am really looking forward to digging through the data afterward! I know that excitement may be somewhat strange on my part but if you think of the discoveries as an adventure to unravel the mysteries of the data, then you might start to understand. As an added bonus to the adventure, I get to help poor farmers! Yeah, my job is cool like that.

2 comments:

Steven said...

No matter where I see dogs having "fun", it will never be as funny as in Nepal. How many times are you going to see that at a Buddhist temple?

Phil Birkey said...

To think, some people never get the chance to see two dogs having "fun" at a Buddhist temple.