Friday, June 22, 2012

Final thoughts about the end of my bachelorhood.

Many people have been asking lately how I'm feeling about getting married. I've had many thoughts on these matters and as is typical for me, it seems I may be odd. People keep asking me in particular if I'm nervous but I don't feel that way. Should I be nervous? I guess I take the view that, as with all community based functions, things with the wedding day are going to be insane and something isn't going to go the way we had anticipated but at the end of the day, I get to marry the woman I love. Barring that not happening, what do I have to be nervous about then? I'll do my best and try to make the experience as perfect as it can be for everyone but forget you if you think I'm going to let worries over details ruin my wedding.

No, nervousness has not been my feeling lately. My feeling has been more borderline on melancholy because I feel bad that Esther is not with me and I am not in Ireland helping her out. It kind of just kills the joy in life. Luckily or unluckily, things have been crazy at work while she has been away and preparing to leave for vacation for 3 weeks was a bit of a grind. It has been a good distraction but I've noticed that when I come home at the end of the day the melancholy mood is made that much worse by tiredness.

When it comes down to it, I'm mostly at this point just excited that I'll get to see Esther again tomorrow morning. I'm excited that I'll be able to help out. I'm excited that I'll see my family and friends. I feel a bit bad that they've all paid so much money to come to the wedding and I've not talked to them much over the last 6 months or so. Hopefully the time around the wedding can make up for that a bit.

Other general thoughts I've had:
  • I moved my stuff over to Esther's apartment the other day and I was reminded of how much junk we accumulate and how I need to throw stuff out.
  • Having a moment to settle a little bit of my stuff into what is our apartment was a great feeling!
  • I said goodbye (for the most part) to bachelor food. I've eaten some strange meals.
  • The idea of doing something for the last time as a bachelor is just a strange concept.
  •  Esther and I are going to have to feed a lot of Bengali people when we get back.
  • I hate feeling useless. Not knowing Irish culture well enough to provide sound suggestions for the wedding has been very frustrating.
  • Esther and I are very blessed to have friends from so many places who are able to come to our wedding!
  • I'm looking forward to Irish food which is a sure sign for most my friends that I'm crazy.
  • Writing my speech for the reception requires a lot of thought, I normally wing it on such things!

1 comment:

Donny said...

Congratulations! I just got married 3 weeks ago and I had the same feelings. I wasn't nervous, yet it was weird that these were my final days as a bachelor. I was mostly worried about the details, as I tend to be, and I had a hard time blocking those worries out all wedding weekend. The night was great though! Hope you have a good trip and enjoy the party and your new life together.